Friday, February 23, 2007

bangalore life

I was thinking today though how hard it is to communicate what it is really like. I don't think I really got it until I got here. the constant noise and dust and dirt and the sheer number of people everywhere. and the beautiful riot of color in clothing people wear -the most saturated colors that are stunning pinks and reds and blues and greens. I love everyone's clothing.

in some ways it is such luxury I have here - haven't done any chores at all.plus being driven everywhere is amazing. this city has enough rickshaws that you can mostly find several where ever you are, so if you do not like one price, just go to the next one.

tried to buy tickets today - mentioned in the newspaper - but not so easy! it said forum mall, I went out there, but info desk knew nothing, I asked twice, then tried the bkstore, they helpfully said oh it is one flr up at world space store, went up and cinema guy said no world space up here, I wander a bit and 20 yds from him IS world space, but they have no tickets yet. tickets to zakir hussain! so will try elsewhere.

this wkend we are travelling out of bangalore to Mysore. very excited.apparently Blore is very developed compared to other places. we hope to go on a bus. and we are staying at a palace. also found a great art india magazine. books and magazine are very reasonable. mass market paperbacks are 250 Rs about $5.

ok off to the bus station. there is so much to tell. oh here was a cool thing I saw today - two men on the side of our street ironing! the irons were huge and looked like they had hot coals in them, and they had a huge stack of clothing - they were pressing the clothing. on this wooden wheelie cart. just something you would not see in the US.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, maybe streetside ironing in the states can be my next job opp!

Wouldn't take much overhead to start that business!

xoxox