Wednesday, August 8, 2007

SF

There are many things I really enjoy in Bangalore - lime soda sweet! parotta. roti. dosa. filter coffee. And the people are kind and generous and friendly.
But I also want to say this is an example of what I miss from SF (not putting down anyplace else only treasuring something about SF)- a little restaurant in a not very good part of town:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/05/CM0JR9O0C3.DTL
some quotes:

Choosing from the half dozen house-made sausages ($9.50/$18/$22.50) and a cheese board ($4.50-$25.50) is a good way to begin.

My favorite main course over three visits was pork shoulder braised in milk ($15.50), with its fork-tender texture and robust flavor. I also liked poached sausage ($14.50) cut into slices and about as rich as foie gras, served on a bed of lentils.

When the place is less crowded, as it is in the afternoon (the same menu is served all day), it's a great opportunity to have your own olive oil tasting. There are eight on the menu ($2.50-$3) so diners can check out examples from various regions of Italy.

Another choice is to try one of the 37 wines by the glass ($6-$13). When servers don't know about them, they're quick to offer tastes, but in most cases you can take your chances, because all of them are well chosen and versatile.


Bangalore has some wonderful restaurants - I really like Shiok, Herbs and Spice, Harima, I.talia, Karavalli. But there is something I really miss about the restaurants of SF. Like 37 different wines that can be ordered by the glass.
I wouldn't want the whole world to be the same. There are great things in every place and I think these restaurants are one of the good SF things.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't worry sweetie, some day we will go to Bar Bambino together!!!